FITNESS JOURNEY (Her Story) Week 5
What a GORGEOUS day it was here in New England yesterday (not so shabby for November!!), so Will and I took a walk in the park. WALKING IS SO UNDERRATED! As we looped around the park, I reminisced about the workouts of years gone by; my slightly inflated viewpoint that you go hard or go home. Lifting traditional weights was my religion. Shamefully, this viewpoint remained within until relatively recently. So here I was, lost in thought, when I noticed my right hip getting tight. My calves were slightly tight, too. There was something to this walking and I realized it definitely has a place in regaining and maintaining a healthy level of fitness.
On top of “discovering” walking, I am really loving the Smoothies that my husband and I are making on a regular basis. Along with our healthier eating habits, I’ve noticed that if I do go away for a weekend and I veer off the norm nutritionally, I definitely FEEL the difference. So with that being said, I am going to share my absolute FAVORITE smoothie recipe with you. It’s healthy and it satisfies that ever-nagging sweet tooth. ENJOY!!
Banana Almond Flax Smoothie
Yield: 1 smoothie
- 1 medium well ripened banana, peeled diced into pieces, frozen
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 - 3 drops almond extract (pour into extract lid first then drop in blender so you don't add too much)
- 4 ice cubes (optional)
- To a blender add banana, almond milk, Greek yogurt, almond butter, ground flaxseed, honey and almond extract. Blend until combined then add ice if desired and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.